For our living room, we have chosen the theme "Blue, Black and Something in Between". Having a theme is very helpful when decorating. It serves as a guide on what color furniture or kind of house item you want to get.
On our wall:
1. two elephant frames (a wedding gift) and
2. Naldo's interpretation of Shirl's "Talking Striped Cat" (the 16x20 frame is DIY)
"And when an architect has designed a house with large windows, which is a necessity today in order to pull the daylight into these very deep houses, then curtains come to play a big role in architecture."
* printed curtains from SM Makati - only 250 pesos
* plain baby blue curtain from Landmark Makati - only 150 pesos
*wooden side-table from Dapitan Arcade- only 1,200 pesos
*boat sculpture from Hongkong - forgot the price
* mermaid doll from Greattoys, Waltermart Makati - 800 pesos (we're toy collectors so we usually spend more on our toys than any other item in the house)
The usual price of a decent living room set is 17,000+ pesos and we don't really like the designs they have in the mall these days. So we decided to buy the couch and the side chairs separately.
Our living room set:
1.Blue and black chair with stool from SM Megamall - 4,000 pesos
2. Two-seater brown leatherette couch from SM Cubao- only 6,500 pesos
3. a. An 80-year old Narra bench- given by our dad.
b.Wooden sculpture by Jheng Marzan - a wedding gift by Mr. Marzan hinself; we're still designing a stand for it- maybe you have some suggestions. Feel free to write in the comments box.
c. a wooden tray-basket we got from Papemelrotti for only 180 pesos- we got really lucky on this one because it was the perfect size!
Right now, this is how our living room looks like. We'll update this post as soon as there are additions.
+++ADDITIONS AS PROMISE: We now have a 32-in. LCD tv and new curtains of course!
1. Make a plan on where you want your furniture and get the measurements. This way you won't make the mistake of buying something too large or small.
2. It doesn't matter if the items you have are expensive or not. What matters is that they're pleasant to look at and comfortable to use.
3. Even if you're on low budget, NEVER go for low quality.
4. If the pieces don't work as you planned it would, don't lose hope. Keep on re-arranging until you get the best look.
5. The secret to having a beautiful home is to always keep it CLEAN.